Pages


Wednesday 19 September 2012

A Very English Victoria Sponge

Finally, I am actually quite proud of myself. Today I have managed to bake a cake that, for once, doesn't resemble the back end of a baboon. I decided to try the classic Victoria sponge, with butter-cream and raspberry jam. Very posh darling!


Now all I need is to make little cucumber sandwhiches and a pot of tea, and i've completed the English stereotype! Here is the simple recipe I used...

All you need is...
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 200g softened butter
  • 4 eggs , beaten
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp milk


  1. Heat oven to 190C. Butter two sandwich tins (again don't ask me the sizes of these, I have no clue. But I'm sure it will work for you if it works for me!). 
  2. In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
  3. Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with the back of a spoon, then bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. I always insert a sharp knife in the center, if it comes out clean then it is done. Take out of the tins and leave to cool completely.
To make the butter-cream filling you will need...
100g butter , softened
140g icing sugar , sifted
340g jar good-quality raspberry jam 
icing sugar and berries, to decorate


Beat the butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in icing sugar. 


Spread the jam over the top of one of the sponges. 

Then spread the butter-cream over the jam. This will do fine, though I decided to add raspberries in the center as well to create more depth.  

Once you have layered the remaining sponge on top you can decorate how you life. I decided to add raspberries and blackberries, and dust with a little icing sugar.

 Oh it brings back memories of the Queen's Jubilee!


No comments:

Post a Comment